Everything you need to know to get started and grow a Venus flytrap!
1. Venus flytraps MUST have distilled water, reverse osmosis water or clean rain water (not collected from an asphalt-shingled roof). A Venus flytrap’s soil MUST be kept moist at all times. Normally, this is done by keeping the pot in a shallow dish of water. A cheap, $2.00, 2-gallon jug of distilled water will last a single flytrap a VERY long time (months even).
2. Venus flytraps MUST have soil that is nutrient and fertilizer free.
3. Flytraps LOVE full sun or to be very close to a grow light if indoors.
4. Venus flytraps NEED a period of cold winter dormancy each year. This can be achieved with a spot in the fridge if your winters are non-existent or too cold.
5. Venus flytraps have no feeding requirements. Of course, you certainly can feed them if you wish.